A volunteer’s friendly, caring service is wonderful medicine for our patients and family members. Our volunteers receive a complete orientation and service training, and enjoy a sense of confidence they acquire in learning new skills. They are an integral part of the healthcare team and help to assure the highest quality of patient care.
There are many rewarding opportunities to serve patients and staff, from greeting to escorting to assisting in various departments as a volunteer at Springhill Medical Center. The upbeat attitude and can-do approach of Springhill Medical Center's volunteers are the perfect medicine for patients and family members. For more information on how to become a Springhill Medical Center volunteer, call 251-460-5223 or contact us.
Calling All Teens
If you are between the ages of 14 (by June 1) and 18 years old, Springhill Medical Center would like to have you consider being a teenage volunteer at our facility. Volunteering is a way to help your community and learn the joy of giving. Your volunteer work in a hospital environment also provides you the opportunity to learn about medical careers.
Please call the Volunteer Services Office at 251-460-5223 for more information.
What Volunteers Do
The volunteers coordinate several fund raisers and special projects, as well as assisting patients and community members of all ages. Some of their activities include:
- Sponsoring the Color By Kids Art Competition in conjunction with the hospital.
- The selected winning art is displayed throughout the hospital, creating a warm, friendly atmosphere for all visitors to enjoy.
- Supporting the local art programs by providing $4,000 annually to Mobile County Public School traveling art teachers.
- Sponsoring a non-invasive jaundice testing program for newborns at no charge.
- Providing memory boxes to comfort parents who have experienced an early loss.
- Providing special services such as the Gift Cart, newspaper, mail, and flower delivery service.
- Providing Shumsky pillows to heart surgery patients.
Your “Gift of Time” can make a difference in a variety of areas:
- Auxiliary Fundraising
- Surgery Waiting Room
- Escort Service
- Flower and Mail Delivery
- Gift Cart and Gift Shop
- Heart Center
- Information Desk
- Special Projects
- Outpatient Surgery
...and bring many rewards:
- Meeting New Friends
- Learning New Skills
- Developing New Interests
- Helping Others