At Springhill’s Heart Center, some of Alabama’s most experienced cardiologists and heart surgeons work together to offer advanced, comprehensive care.
Springhill brings together specialists in every area of cardiology and heart surgery.
Our team includes:
Mobile’s Newest Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery Program, located in The Heart Center at Springhill Medical Center, brings greater access to specialized open heart, vascular and thoracic procedures for our community. Dr. R. Lewis Wilson, Jr. and Dr. Charles H. Wyatt are outstanding leaders in their specialties.
Contact their office for more information.
- General cardiologists, who treat most common heart conditions.
- Heart surgeons, who specialize in minimally invasive and open heart surgery for coronary artery disease, valve disease and more.
- Electrophysiologists, a type of cardiologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating arrhythmias, or heart rhythm problems.
- Interventional cardiologists, who use special tests to measure blood flow and pressure in the heart and arteries. They are specially trained to place stents in clogged arteries to restore blood flow to the heart, brain, or other organs.
- Heart failure specialists, or cardiologists who have special expertise in caring for people with heart failure.
Our Areas of Care
At Springhill, you’ll find a whole team of electrophysiologists — cardiologists who specialize in treating arrhythmias (irregular heart rhythm). They offer the latest treatment options for all types of arrhythmia, including atrial fibrillation. And they’ve treated more patients with arrhythmias than any other team in Mobile. This gives them unique expertise that they’ll put to use when diagnosing and treating their patients.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program is designed to help you improve symptoms of heart disease. It includes: supervised exercise, help with eating healthy meals, managing stress, and quitting smoking.
Coronary Artery Disease Care
Doctors at Springhill know coronary artery disease (the most common type of heart disease in the U.S.) inside and out. From medications and lifestyle changes to angioplasty or surgery, they offer every treatment you might need.
Cardiologists at Springhill are experts at angioplasty, a procedure that clears blockages in your arteries. In most cases, a thin mesh tube called a stent is placed in the blocked artery during the procedure. The stent helps keep your artery open. Springhill was among the first hospitals in Alabama to use stents that also release drugs designed to prevent more blockages.
Experts at Springhill offer the full range of tests needed to diagnose heart diseases and disorders. These include Echocardiography (Echo), CT of the Coronary Arteries (CTA), EKG, tilt tests, stress tests, and many more.
Heart Attack Care
If you come to the Springhill Emergency Department with heart attack symptoms, our team is always ready. We stabilize and expedite patients with signs of heart attack to our cardiac catheterization lab — where we open blocked arteries — in 30 minutes or less. Call 911 right away if you have any of these warning signs of heart attack.
- Chest discomfort that feels like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body such as arms, back, neck, jaw, or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or lightheadedness.
Heart Failure Care
Doctors at Springhill are experts at diagnosing and treating heart failure (when the heart can’t pump enough blood). Because heart failure can have a variety of causes, the team offers a variety of treatments. These include medications, surgery and lifestyle changes. Most people do best with a combination of treatments.
Heart surgeons at Springhill are among the most experienced in Alabama. They perform minimally invasive and open heart surgery for coronary artery disease, valve disease, structural heart procedures, and more.