Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Posted On: January 31, 2021

The Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at Springhill Medical Center would like to remind residents that Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a gas found as a by product in combustion fumes, such as those produced by generators, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood.

Smoke Detector

CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as your home, office, garage, car, caravan, or boat. People and animals in these enclosed spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning: Headaches, Dizziness, Disorientation, Nausea, Fatigue, Vomiting, Chest pain and Confusion. Use generators and grills in well ventilated areas during a power outage. If you think you may have CO poisoning, consult a health care professional right away.